Bean salad is one of those summer staples that appears at potlucks and barbecues year after year. If you don’t think much of bean salad, you might be used the soggy kind that comes from store bought cans and tubs. Not only is homemade bean salad so much tastier, it’s also naturally vegan and gluten free, and super quick to make. Homemade Bean Salad is super for using up all those in-season green beans (or yellow and purple). A sweet, slightly tart vinaigrette helps to bring all the fresh flavours together. I’m not lying when I say that I dream about Homemade Bean Salad on a hot summer day.
Lots of yummy beans to enjoy and create with! If you get tired of making Homemade Bean Salad, I found some other options on one of my go-to food blogs, The Kitchn.
My Homemade Bean Salad is so simple there’s not much explaining to do. All the “cooking” required is to blanch the beans. Blanching, quickly cooling the beans after a short period of cooking, ensures the beans stay crunchy while bringing out their sweet flavour.
Bean salad, a potluck stalwart, also makes an excellent lunch box item. This recipe should make enough to last one person throughout the week (if you love bean salad as much as I do, this is a really good thing). Just give the large bowl of salad a good stir before transferring into smaller containers.
With that being said, whip-up a batch of Homemade Bean Salad and then get out there to take advantage of these last weeks of summer. I think I’ll get out to do some blackberry picking.
If you’re craving more salads, why not try:
- Blanched Kale and Potato Salad with Anchovy-Lemon Dressing
- Chicken Quinoa Salad with Creamy Basil Dressing
Homemade Bean Salad (Vegan + GF)
- 3-4 cups green, purple, and/or yellow beans
- 1 540 ml can bean medley, rinsed and drained
- 1 red or green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green onion or chives, thinly sliced
- 2 radish, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 3 tbsp canola oil (or mild flavoured oil)
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Remove tips from beans, and slice into 1 inch pieces. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Prepare a large boil of iced water. Cook the beans in boiling water for 2 minutes, until bright green. Immediately drain and transfer to iced water.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl, making sure sugar is dissolved. Adjust seasonings to your own personal tastes.
- Once beans are completely cool, combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Allow flavours to come together for at least 1/2 an hour before enjoying. Store your Homemade Bean Salad in an airtight container for up to one week.